Call it giving back, volunteering, or as Miss America would advocate, “making the world a better place,” revitalizes not only the city’s roots and communities, but also our own personal development, empathy and passion for innovation and growth. Here are a few of the ways I live the Miss America dream every day.
Update – Everyone loves updates!!
Well I hope to start volunteering at The Contemporary Austin! My fingers are crossed I pass the background check – that was a joke, I’ll pass. Art – definitely a passion! Look for a blog post soon!
Member of MPI – October 2013 – Present
Texas Hill Country Chapter
Activist in the Austin Community
Partnering with various non-profits and organizations in Austin, TX to support equal rights initiatives, grass-roots campaigns, and improve the Austin Area community.
Voices Against Violence Theater for Dialogue Peer Educator – August 2010 – December 2012
The University of Texas, Counseling and Mental Health Center Austin, TX
- Created dynamic interactive theater performances that incorporated concise information surrounding sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and stalking.
- Facilitated the interactive theater performances, initiated purposeful dialogue, and provided timely and effective information about harm reduction and prevention before, during and after each performance for audiences of 5-60 ranging in ages from 17-60.
Urban Outreach Trip Planner and Organizer – January – May 2009
Various Organizations in Atlanta, GA
- Planned and organized an informative weekend trip for college students to be exposed to the growing refugee community and it’s needs in Atlanta, GA.
- Produced cultural sensitivity training from an anthropological perspective to engage participants.
Counseling Intern – January – May 2009
New Beginnings, Martin, GA
- Aided in 12 step class facilitation for recovering drug and alcohol users.
- Built report, trust, and vulnerability with clients through working and living alongside them during intensive weekend retreat.