I am not talking about a college honor roll, or dean’s list, or who’s who list of nearly Nobel Prize winners. I am talking about the positions I have had the honor of procuring that produced professional growth. I like to call them all the letters that make up my career’s alphabet soup.
Want to know where I gained my “know how?” – Check out my honor roll of nine-to-five work experience below!
Apprentice – January 2014 – Present
The Simplifiers, Austin TX
- Exciting Updates Soon – Check Back!
Events Coordinator – April 2013 – December 2013
Gerson Lehrman Group, Austin TX
- Managed relationships with 50+ accounts and negotiated contracts for venues/vendors, such as major hotels, boutique hotels, convention centers, and restaurants in many major US cities and internationally amounting to over $4k in projected savings after contract negotiations.
- Maintained the 2013 Events Budget by reconciling the accounts, incoming invoices, and reporting over $10k in savings. Forecasted the 2014 Events Budget for 50+ events based upon aggregated data.
- Created marketing materials, coordinated AV, BEOs, and logistics for onsite hosts, such as travel arrangements and host itineraries.
- Contributed to rebranding of the Healthcare Event Product as well as pioneered a cultural brief for clients traveling abroad to enhance client experience and cultural awareness.
Community Education Intern, Event Planning – September – December 2012
SafePlace, Austin, TX
- Exercised organizational skills to plan and execute Celebrating the Survivor Spirit (CSS), an event that provided safe space for sexual assault survivors and allies to share stories, art, and spoken word.
- Implemented new elements into the programming, coordinated volunteers and made provisions for in kind donations as well as other logistical tasks for CSS.
- Coordinated planning efforts with a team of professionals, volunteers and community members to foster maximum collaboration for innovation in programing primarily through google docs, forms, and other data sharing technology.
- Published blog post featured on SafePlace’s blog site.
Voices Against Violence Student Event Coordinator – January – May, 2011, 2012
The University of Texas, Counseling and Mental Health Center Austin, TX
- Designed and implemented innovative events for sexual assault awareness month that created a safe, effective, and supportive dialogue for students, community members, survivors, LGBTQ members, and allies, namely Take Back the Night.
- Mobilized a team of students and volunteers as the Chief student logistics administrator in charge of delegating appropriate tasks to team members, leading bi-weekly meetings, fostering efficient communication and synthesizing strategic plans for event flow and coordination.
- Utilized social and financial capital to grow Take Back the Night, an annual event at UT from 150 attendees to 300 in my first term and then to 500 my second term.
Administrative Intern and Editor – May – August 2009
Operation Mobilization, Paris, France
- Edited the organizationʼs monthly newsletter printed in French and English.
- Assisted with various administrative tasks for event and campaign production such as writing training materials for future interns and volunteers.
- Field observation facilitated through direct work with a French literacy class for immigrant women.
Assistant Site Director and Logistical Support Intern – May – August 2008
Mobilizing Students, Arecibo, Puerto Rico
- Organized a team of four interns and delegated tasks prior to departure for Puerto Rico and on site in Arecibo.
- Maintained all volunteer consent forms, medical data, flight arrangements and emergency contingency plans for groups of 10-30 traveling to the island on 1-2 week trips.